A History of Sunderland Shipbuilding.
This project was commissioned by Sunderland City Council to coincide with the opening of the Tallships Sunderland 2018. This wall is located on the High Street in Sunderland and backs onto the Port of Sunderland.
Charlotte, a snow, later a brig.
Ship built by Benjamin Hodgson and Co. The Charlotte is Lloyd's register listed from 1841 through to 1869. Owned until 1848 by A Grey of Newcastle for service from Sunderland to the Cape of Good Hope in Cape Town South Africa. From 1849 the ship was owned by Thompson of South Shields for Service between Newcastle and California. In 1853 Middleton of Shields became the owner, initially for service from London to Launceston in Tasmania. Middleton was also the ships captain during this period. From 1857 J Watt from South Shields was her owner for the service from Waterford in Ireland to the mediterranean and from Newport, Wales, to Quebec, Canada. Sometime between 1856 and 1870 the vessel was sold and ended up with an owner called John Blenkinsop
She was abandoned at Lynn Well Light (near Hunstanton, Norfolk), while en route from Tyne Dock to Spezzia (La Spezia, SE of Genoa), Italy, with a cargo of coal. Crew of 9 - none lost.
A3 sized print (The A3 size print measures 29.7 x 42.0cm, 11.69 x 16.53 inches)